Beef stew is one of those recipes that I call “confort food”. The reasons are at least two: first of all, it is a relaxing and stress-less recipe because it Just need to cook slowly, while you are chilling on your cough reading a book or watching TV. Secondly, it is so good and delicious that you will feel better as soon as you eat it.
The secret for a perfect beef stew is the choice of the right cut of the beef (preferibly chuck meat) and the cooking of the stew which should be low and slow, for approximately two hours.
- Heat 5 tbsp of EV Olive oil in a large sauce pan, meanwhile, dry each cube of meat with kitchen paper, to remove the excess water.
- Add the meat into the pan and let it Brown without overcrowing. Sprinkle the flour on top and stir using a wood spoon.
- Peel the carrots and cut them into irregular pieces. Stir into the pan together with the onion and the bay leaf.
- When everything start to stir fry, pour in the beer and let it evaporate. Prepare a small pan of boiling water and use it when your spezzatino seems to be too dry.
- After one hour, season with a pinch of salt and one tsp of tomato paste.
- Cook for about 2 hours, until the meat is tender and the sauce thickened.